Friday 1 May 2009

Day 8 - Rest Day


0 km; 0hr 0min; (0km/h) Temples 0

A big zero on the clock for the day as I decide to rest at this great spot and recharge the legs for the second half of the meguri. The campspot is on route 56, just south of a tunnel and the small Ainan hanto, about 15km south of Uwajima. I recommend this as at least an overnight stop if you are touring the area.

I hadn't planned to take a rest but the first 7 days have gone so well that I'm confident to reach the final temple in 2 weeks. It's always beneficial to take a rest but I also could have continued cycling today if I had been pressed for time. Also I was looking at the weather, and if it looked like a rainy day coming up then that would have been the rest day, but as it was the forecast was perfect for the next 5 days, so lets relax and enjoy the sunshine!

This section of coastline is dotted with small fishing villages and today I get as far as walking around the small bay to the nearest village. Lots of mussel beds here, and the mussels are being brought ashore by the boat load and polished clean in the sheds by many obasan and ojisan.

Very good guard dog here, seems to spot the foreigner from a great distance. Luckily the hound is well chained up.

The rest of the day is sleep, read, onsen and relax.

The totals so far are 7 days of riding, 751km on the clock and 40 temples visited. The distance is over half way, but I still have the worry that trying to visit another 48 temples in Golden Week will not be possible due to crowds of henro and traffic congestion. At this stage, I think Matsuyama will be a true indicator of my progress around the island, and I will know if I need to speed up or just keep going the same comfortable pace I've managed so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment